What a GREAT day today has been! Not only was it my first Mother's Day, but it was Lilly's baby dedication as well. So many of our family and friends came today to support Lilly. Michael and I are truly grateful for each of them taking time out of their day to show their support not only for Lilly, but for us as her parents. She really is a very loved little girl!
As I thought about the meaning of today, it really weighed on my mind what a HUGE job Michael and I have as parents to raise Lilly to be a godly woman. When I see what children today are faced with, it truly scares me to think about how much more she will face as she grows up. As parents, you want your child to be SO MANY things: well-liked, successful, smart, beautiful, etc. I could even go as far as naming petty things such as keeping her room clean, being homecoming queen or valedictorian, having her daddy's sharpness and her mommy's athleticism...
But as her Mom today, I am honestly just overwhelmed with the huge task that is before us, and all I can do is pray. I think that's the only thing that will get me through the next 20+ years, and I am so glad that God gives us the gift of talking to Him...it brings me such comfort. So today, the day we pledge as parents to raise Lilly as Christian parents, I pray:
- that she will fear God and grasp the sacrifice He made for us by sending Jesus to die for us and truly thirst for Him.
- that she will trust in Him and allow Him to direct her paths in life.
- that she will have integrity and hold high standards.
- that she will respect herself, others, and authority.
- that she will put on the full armor of God in order to resist the temptations of the world.
- that she will display the Fruits of the Spirit.
- the she will be pure.
- that she will be salt and light in this sinful, lost world.
- that she will have a servant's heart and strive to make a difference.
- that she will understand what really matters in life.